Words of Wisdom for Surviving the “Incident”
Guest column by Lynetta Mier
Things I have learned during week 3 of limited technology at work.
1) Email is a crutch and we should all use it less. In fact, I would be ok if it never returned into my life.
2) I need research. At one point in my career I was burnt out from laboratory work. Now, research is energizing once again. It’s really hard to be denied time in the lab and exploring data with students indefinitely.
3) Teaching is easy with limited technology. In fact, I may be better in the classroom due to the limited technology. Limiting distractions and keeping my focus is key to enjoying myself in the classroom.
4) I like the spontaneous conversations with colleagues that the lack of email has brought about. I need to remember to leave my office more frequently.
5) Backing up files in multiple ways is very important. My job is doable because I did not rely on campus resources for my only file storage system. Without access to my files, I would be much much more tired and much angrier.